Friday, May 25, 2012

Day Two: Tower of London and Westminster Abbey

After a ridiculously deep night's sleep, we were up and ready to go at 9 am. We had to hurry and get to the tube to head to the Tower of London to meet our tour guide, and it was quite the adventure basically running up and down a million flights of stairs and escalators to navigate through the tube, but we got there on time. The weather was GORGEOUS! Not a cloud in the sky, cool breeze, warm sun. Perfect day.

The Tower of London was awesome- our tour guide Debra led us through the whole time and I learned so so much. We walked around the perimeter at first and got some history and info on the Tower, which really helped me understand what we were there to see. We were along the Thames right by the Tower Bridge, and the best part was seeing the bridge actually go up in the middle to let a ship through! Apparently this doesn't happen all the time, and I'm so glad we got to see it!


The Tower of London itself was really impressive architecturally and so much history is there with beheadings and queens and kings and such. The Crown Jewels were incredible to see- so ornate and insanely intricate and just so much bling. Way too much for my taste honestly, but they were really cool to see in real life. Couldn't take any pictures in there though.

We went through the original Tower of London building too- saw all the armor and weapons and such and did some interactive things too, which was fun. Definitely glad I live in the time period that I live in.


Jubilee Diamond

dragon armor?


After the Tower tour we were off for lunch on our own, but most of us stuck with Rusty and his daughter Erin- I am definitely not ready to conquer the tube on my own! We went toward Westminster Abbey and ended up eating at The Abbey- I got a plate of spicy nachos that were really yummy and nowhere near filling, but we were given money for lunch and there wasn't much under the price limit so I got what I got. Being vegetarian hasn't been too hard yet- all menus and even stuff at the grocery store are labeled with "V" which makes it super easy to find what I can eat! Yay London!

Also, Westminster Abbey is right by Big Ben. Hello, most known London attractions!

Big Ben



Westminster Abbey
No pictures were allowed inside, but it was beyond beautiful. We did audio tours and basically just listened to the highlights, but it was really cool and I learned way more than I thought. Lots of people are buried in there...who knew. There was a really cool exhibit right as we were leaving with pictures of the Queen visiting the Abbey throughout her life as it's her diamond jubilee year, and I loved it! It made a lot more things about the Queen and the royalty here make more sense, and it was so fun seeing her throughout her life and at different occasions, even Will and Kate's wedding! So excited for the jubilee events now!

Finally got some pounds from an atm today and went grocery shopping! Sainsbury Market was where we shopped- it was similar but still pretty different from back in the States. Smaller, fresher, more fun. Got some stuff just to have here when we have free nights and meals, and some new food I've never tried (Digestives cookies- apparently they're awesome). Groceries were about 10 pounds, not too bad. Got shampoo and conditioner and toiletries stuff at Boots- a CVS kind of store that was nextdoor. Got a little lost with the group I was with getting home from shopping and wandered into Camden, but got back no problem. Ate food that was provided for us here at the flat and passed out for a nap and really haven't done too much this evening- all this walking and still jet lag and everything has made me so tired! Got to get ready for tomorrow's adventures.

I love it here. Everything about it. London is awesome and I love that I'm actually LIVING here. So surreal and so incredible. I'm so blessed, and I'm not taking any of it for granted.


1 comment:

mum said...

so wonderful to experience London through your eyes and your words! Dad and I are so jealous, but tickled nonetheless! Sounds like a full experience and it's only been two days!