Saturday, June 25, 2011

the brevity of life

More and more during this past few weeks, I've been reminded at just how quickly life can come to an end. Even in just driving downtown every day for my job, I've seen countless accidents and even more acts of stupidity by careless drivers that very easily could have resulted in fatalities. It hits me hard every time as I think about how that isn't just a statistic of a highway accident, but a person, a beloved child or cousin or friend, somebody that won't live to see another day because they've left their earthly body. That's not a concept that sits well with me.

In my quiet times, I've been reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and the second chapter focused on this very same topic.

"On the average day, we live caught up in ourselves. On the average day, we don't consider God very much. On the average day, we forget that our life truly is a vapor." -page 39

I'm not trying to be morbid about all of this, I'm really not. I think, though, that realizing how quickly life can end makes you realize how much more life needs to be lived intentionally and meaningfully.

"The point of your life is to point to Him." -page 44

If I could leave this earth at any second, I want to make sure I'm using my time for the glory of God and not for my own pleasure. I want to be so on fire for Him so that when I'm gone, they'll remember that above anything else. I want to be serving, worshipping, praising, glorifying, and loving Him and His people with my time and my talents while I'm alive on this Earth. I don't want to spend my days concerned with myself, stressing over little things, worrying about tomorrow, and hiding my true Christ-given identity.

It breaks my heart that so many people don't realize the importance of life and of the One who gives it until death happens. It shouldn't have to take tragedies for us to realize that life is precious and our time here isn't endless, but a lot of times, that is what it takes. For me, it's just an insane call to action to know that my life truly is a vapor. I know that God has plans for me, plans to prosper me, not to harm me; plans to give me a hope and a future. I want to live my life, how ever long or short it may be, following His will for my life, making every day a humble reflection of the glory and love of the Giver of life.

No comments: