Sunday, January 1, 2012

the start of a new year.

If you've seen my Facebook or Twitter the last few days, you'll know that I'm not a fan of New Years Eve. I don't buy into all the hype and all the parties and promises of resolutions that most never keep. Yes, a new year is exciting. I guess I'm just more the type to prefer staying in and reflecting on the past year and the year to come and not getting caught up in drinking and kissing and freaking out about the ball dropping. But anway. Happy 2012, everyone! Enough with the cynical thoughts about this holiday.

On to resolutions. Everyone makes them. I make them. I constantly am setting goals for myself and making lists and seeking to improve my character and grow more as a person and as a follower of Christ, and this time of year is no different. It is a new year, and with that, comes new opportunities for growth, and I embrace that wholeheartedly.

Here are my goals for this year:

1. Continue reading a verse a day and seeking the truth and application for my life that can be found in the Word. Doing this with Cole and with Kenleigh will be even cooler, as I know we'll all have different perspectives and thoughts to bring to the table, and we'll all learn more through doing it together as we keep each other accountable with it.

2. Work out more. Yes, I know this is cliche. But I know that with the history of my many knee surgeries and difficulties, keeping myself on track with exercising regularly will help my strength and hopefully prevent needing more surgeries anytime soon. I love how I feel when I work out, I just need to keep myself motivated to being consistent with it and I know I'll be more confident and happier all around.

3. Blog at least once a month. I started strong and then seriously slacked off with posting regularly. I have a lot of thoughts going on in my head and getting them typed out more often will help me process my life and stretch myself beyond where I'm currently at.

4. Take chances and be bold. I want to reach beyond myself and step out of my comfort zone. The most growth comes from the things that scare me a little and call me to rely fully on Christ and trust in Him with everything. This year holds awesome opportunities and awesome adventures in Atlanta for the Passion conference, Arizona for spring break, and a summer studying abroad in London. I want to embrace these fully and experience everything God has in store for me in the upcoming months.

5. Love more. I want to humbly, patiently, boldly, unashamedly, consistently LOVE. It's not going to be easy, there are going to be people that I just want to write off and forget about, but God didn't just write me off, He loved me and gave everything for me. If the Creator of the world did that for little old me, I can definitely love the people He brings into my life.

So those are my goals for this year. They'll change and shift with time, but I know that there's power in defining them and putting them in words that I can look back on and hold myself to.

"'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who belives." -Mark 9:23


Happy 2012, and know that all your resolutions, goals, hopes, and dreams are possible if you believe in the Creator of this world and the Giver of life.

1 comment:

Barb Welchlin said...

I totally understand what you are saying about putting so much effort into New Year's Eve, & making resolutions that are out the door quickly, etc. You are so wise to focus on setting goals as you have & seeing each day as an opportunity for God to continue working in you & through you. Yes, today is the beginning of 2012 which is also the beginning of more opportunities to reset our focus again on what God has in his plan for us. I'm looking forward to see what God has in store, for he continues to overwhelm me with his blessings, even through the most challenging of times. I also continue to look forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

Blessings Always,
Mrs. Welchlin